One can utilize the VST effect menu to support real-time previews in Audacity. It supports the import, export and saving of presets in Audacity.
Addition of new VST effect
There are many VST effects that are available online. You can just obtain them online. Though Windows has a 64-bit system but it does not support a 64-bit VST effect. But, in the case of Linux, it supports if the system is of 64 bits.
Adding a new VST effect is comparatively easier on windows. You can do it by just putting the DLL file in the folder named Plug-Ins, where you have installed Audacity.
Import-export and saving of VST effects preset
Saving a preset
In order to save the current settings of the effects, the user needs to select the save preset option from the menu – manage. You can find this menu in the effect dialog. After the dialog box opens, type a preset name and click on the OK button. Your preset will be saved and will appear in the list of user presets of the Manage menu.
Exporting a preset
- Select the export option from the manage menu of the effect dialog.
- Choose a proper file type in the save as type menu.
- Type a file name in the file name box and click on the OK button for exporting the current settings into a separate file.
Here are some file formats that supported in VST-
- Sponsored Links -
- The XML format
It is the default option which saves the VST preset files. But this option is the least flexible of all. This format is used for small effects, which don’t support FXP presets in them. Some VST applications do not support XML. Therefore, you can share XML effects within different computers that run audacity. Click here to learn more.
- The FXB format
This format saves the standard VST file for banks which contains the settings of all the factory presets of the effect. The saved file of presets can be loaded by the same effect that is been running in Audacity.
- The FXP format
The FXP format is useful for saving a VST application file in your system. It lets you save the current visible settings. The saved preset can run by the same effect that is running in Audacity or any other VST host applications.
Importing a preset
In order to import a preset, all you need to do is follow the below steps.
- Select the import option from the manage menu and bring up Load VST preset dialog.
- Go to the location where you have exported the VST preset file.
- Click on open to view the settings
- The imported preset can show up in the user presets menu, butit depends on how a particular VST effect can handle the importing of presets.
Using various VST effect options in Audacity
- Click on the manage button in the Effects dialog.
- Change the option from the drop-down and these changes apply to the current open effect. Other VST effects will remain the same.
Read more articles.
- Guide To Use Audacity: Envelope Tool
- Copying and Pasting a section of audio in Audacity
- What is the Change pitch and how to use it?